Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 39 - Madness. March Madness.

Today we began 1st period with a very nice announcement about plagiarism. Surprisingly, the students seemed rather attentive. I guess that 8:30AM and plagiarism are a subduing combination. The students, or most of them anyway, spent the rest of the period working on their projects. I had a near heart attack when I heard my computer fall off a desk and onto the floor, but it's alright (or so I pray). With 10 minutes left in class we told the students that they had until Monday morning to get their projects completed and turned in. Hopefully they pull through.

For second period, we went to observe the intern for 11th grade English so we could see our students outside their history portable. They were a little confused to see us and it was interesting to watch them. The make-up of the class was not quite the same as in our classes so we got to see different cliques and behaviors. Maybe it was the shape/design of the different classroom, but the students seemed a little quieter than in our classroom. They had a pretty laid back day, so for about the last 30 minutes of class, several students (all boys, mind you) decided to give us advice on teaching. A little bit of it made sense, but I think they said a lot of things to see our reactions. They said they wanted to prepare us for the "real deal" when we have our own classrooms. Plus, and I really don't want to sound vain here, many of these teenage boys seem to enjoy talking to us lately. They have gotten comfortable having us around- time for us to get out! Haha. It is nice, though, to hear that many of the students (both boys and girls) don't want us to leave yet.

During our planning period and lunch we went with our teacher to a very important off campus meeting at a location where they serve food and have many televisions tuned into NCAA March Madness wonderfulness. Our students probably won't be pleased that we weren't there to answer questions immediately after school, but some of them need to make up quizzes/tests from over a month ago and our supervising teacher instructed us to not feel guilty at all. They will have tomorrow and Monday to talk to us and it will be all good.

TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY TEACHING!!!!! While this makes me want to jump for joy, it also makes very real the fact that I need to find a job. I am starting to feel the stress of this and I am trying really hard to trust in God's plan for me and put in all the effort I can to meet him halfway here in this job search thing. The online portion of one of my applications will be ready to go tomorrow so that is a relief. Say some extra prayers for me if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment