Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 3- Orientation

Today Carrie and I got to school and found out that at 8:30 we would be going to an internship orientation with two of the school's Assistant Principals. We were the first two interns to arrive and we helped ourselves to donuts and orange juice graciously supplied by the school. The AP who was already in the room told us that we would be starting with a "gallery walk," and thanks to my classes last semester, I actually knew what that was. Basically, there were three sets of posters and markers around the room, each with a different question written on them. We then went to each poster and responded to the question. Each intern did this, so that when we walked through the gallery later we could see how each person answered the question.

We also got a tour of the school's campus and even got to watch some fourth graders in action during their music class (it was rather adorable, I must say). Hopefully I am able to make it to some of the school's sporting and performing arts events this year, because I hear they are pretty good. Our last stop was at the media center where Carrie and I got our official school badges and lanyards. I think they are just the coolest things ever; mine makes me feel very teacher-y :)

So now I am back to planning. As we talked today, it kind of all hit me at once that this internship is for real and that in 5 days we are taking over the education of our 11th graders for 9 weeks. Yikes! There is so much to plan for so that we are prepared, but this is why we have a supervising teacher. Thank goodness for ProTeach. I would probably be going crazy right now if I had not gone through this graduate program.

No comments:

Post a Comment