Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 25 - I think my leopard print flats have magical powers.

Thursday morning I woke up, feeling ready to attack my individual observation day head-on, even with the potential for behavior problems during 1st period. As an extra precaution, I decided to wear my leopard print flats, because I have noticed that when I wear them, Carrie and I have a good day at school. After Thursday, I believe these shoes have magical powers.

I got all set up at school in the morning, my UF supervisor arrived, and I waited for my students to get to class. I expected 25 students . . . and I got 19. I got the 19 most well-behaved students in the class. Behold the magical leopard print shoes. My lesson plan was the same as Wednesday's and consisted of a somewhat interactive lecture with guided notes that took about half the class period. For the rest of the period the students worked on their writing exercise. It wasn't really until they began working on writing that I fully realized who all was absent that day. I looked over to Carrie and mouthed the words, "I wonder where they all are?" When I talked to her later she asked if I had prayed for them to all catch a cold! I did not, of course.

As the students were working, my UF supervisor took me outside to debrief me on my performance. She had nothing but praise to tell me. She said Carrie and I don't even really need a third evaluation and that we have already passed our internship, meeting all the highest standards. For official purposes we do need a third visit from her, so we will plan a lesson to co-teach sometime in the next month.

It was such a good day, I felt like I was on a "teacher-high". Everything went right, it was like a dream. I am pretty sure I smiled all day. Gotta love the leopard print shoes. And I hope my preparation and talent had a little to do with it, too.
: )

No comments:

Post a Comment