Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 9- Monday

Today was the first time we have spent a Monday at the school. Tuesday through Friday, the school runs on a block schedule with 100 minute classes, but on Monday the school follows a "normal" day with 50 minute classes. After adjusting to the longer classes, it was really difficult to plan for a short period! The lesson I created worked when the students focused and concentrated on their assignment. It did not work when the students spent more time socializing than working. Granted, between 1st and 4th periods I was able to shorten my PowerPoint presentation and I was much more comfortable with my short lecture by 5th period. However, 1st period's behavior today was not good. Part of the problem was that I decided not to let it bother me- I should have let it bother me because then I would have taken more action to correct the problems. We talked to our teacher about it later, and tomorrow Carrie and I will be having some discussions with the sources of the misbehavior to set some ground rules about what will be happening in the future if they don't make some changes. Tomorrow could go well and yield positive results... or it go badly... either way, it is the first really big challenge for me and Carrie and all your prayers and happy thoughts are both welcome and NEEDED.

No comments:

Post a Comment